Thursday 8 April 2010

facebook, and Libraries. Hmmmmm....................

I've been using Facebook for a while.
It's interesting that some of my friend's don't, and think it's a complete waste of time. I guess it's something you like (or 'get') or don't.

I like it. I use it to stay in touch with friends, family, and the other randoms (see - I'm down with the 'Facebook generation') who asked to be my friend. I like getting message through it. as Dara O'Briain said, it's like having a butler deliver your emails.

I looked at some of the Library Facebook pages, and I'm not convinced. We have a medical library journal club, and examined this paper, Use of Facebook in academic health sciences libraries. We didn't come to a favourable conclusion for using it I'm afraid.

I think the big thing is that it's not appropriate for our users (including our students). A lot of them are on Facebook, but they use it for their social life, not work.

I think that social network sites could be useful in engaging users, but they're maybe not for us at HCL.

No comments:

Post a Comment